Extended Rehab for Addiction to Alcohol and Drugs
At Castle Health we offer long-term treatment for people with alcohol or drug addictions.
Our advanced addiction treatment programme offers long-term and second stage residential rehab treatment for people who have already completed a 4-6 week primary addiction programme.
Patients join our long-term rehab treatment programme from our Scottish and Irish centres or any clinic where the drug and alcohol treatment programme ends at 28 days.
The Advanced recovery programme at Castle Health is a valuable resource for people who need a longer stay in residential rehab and we are able to offer up to 6 months (and sometimes more) of our extended care treatment programme.
Who is long-term rehab for? [graphic needed]
If you have underlying mental health problems that need longer to be addressed such as trauma, anxiety and depression;
- Risk of relapse / safe house
If you have a history of multiple relapses or feel you are at risk of relapse and need to return to a residential setting, but not necessarily for an intense primary treatment programme;
- Complex addictions
If you have multiple addictions to different drugs and behavioural addictions such as gambling and gaming addiction;
- Long-term detoxification
If you are experiencing a prolonged drug withdrawal;
- Need more time
You just feel that 28 days is not enough and you need more time in a safe environment to focus on your recovery.
No matter the reason for staying longer in residential rehab, Castle Health gives you greater access to specialised addiction therapies and treatments and consolidates what you have already learned in your primary addiction treatment programme. We help you build an even more solid foundation to get you ready for living a healthy and content life in long-term recovery.
Length of stay with any Castle Health programme is personalised and can last from 4 weeks up to 6 months, depending on the advice of our multidisciplinary team of clinicians and therapists.
Long-term Alcohol Rehab
Rehab from alcohol cannot happen in a set time frame. Everyone is different and feeling secure in their recovery may take longer for some people. For those with underlying mental health issues such as trauma or eating disorders, a longer stay on an extended programme can prevent relapse after you return home.
Long-term Drug Rehab
Some drugs take much longer to detox from, such as benzodiazepines. It is optimal to remain under the care of a multidisciplinary team during this time. Some people enter a drug rehab clinic needing a multiple drug detox. It is advisable to give yourself the time to fully recover before getting back to your home life.
Patient Privacy at our Rehab Clinic
Patient privacy and confidentiality is guaranteed due to our location within 50 acres of private land in the Scottish Borders. Our beautiful country estate is located away from the city, yet close to picturesque market towns in the surrounding area and easily reachable by car. This is a great asset for our patients to fully devote themselves to their recovery.
Welcoming, long-term community
You will enjoy being part of a sober community and staying in halfway-house type cottages. Trips out to local AA and NA groups in Edinburgh take place regularly, and we organise weekend shopping trips and external activities.
We arrange private transfer of patients from transport hubs such as Edinburgh Airport, Edinburgh Waverley train station, Glasgow and Newcastle.
Complementary therapies such as equine therapy, art therapy, drumming, fitness and woodland therapy help people focus on connection and relationships through creative channels. These can be a powerful and revealing holistic therapy tool and contribute to long-lasting recovery. Call Castle Health today to discuss with one of our medical specialists about the best rehab treatment options for you or a loved one.
Long Term Rehab Treatment
After four to six weeks of intensive inpatient rehab treatment, it is recommended that patients go on to second-stage treatment. The aim of the long-term treatment programme at Recovery Gardens is to consolidate the therapeutic lessons and skills from primary care and strengthen abstinence.
At Recovery Gardens we continue the core addiction treatment programme while addressing complex psychological issues. There is a strong emphasis on relapse prevention, social skills training, assertiveness training, and therapy for dual-diagnosis problems.
The long-term treatment programme at Recovery Gardens is extremely valuable for people who could benefit from a longer stay in residential rehab. This includes patients who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- They have a long history of alcohol or drug addiction;
- They are experiencing prolonged drug withdrawal e.g. benzodiazepines;
- They have been diagnosed with a co-occurring disorder – also medically known as Dual Diagnosis. Patients with a dual-diagnosis are treated for several addictions, such as both a chemical and behavioural dependency; they might be struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder; eating disorders; mood problems, personality disorders or depression;
- They are dealing with chronic pain issues;
- They make a personal decision to devote more time to their recovery, intending to consolidate relapse prevention skills, coping skills and life skills in a safe environment.
Strengthening the Foundations for a Long-lasting Recovery
Recovery Gardens supports the new research results that have found that for a full recovery from addiction with maintained, long-term abstinence, patients should spend at least three months in specialised treatment.
This is now called the “gold standard” of addiction treatment because it has been proven that a longer stay in rehab treatment leads to overall better outcomes for the patient’s return to daily life and full recovery.
Some of the many benefits to opting for an extended treatment programme are:
- Strengthen the gains and coping mechanisms acquired in a 4-6 week intensive care programme – either in one of our clinics or in another rehab treatment centre;
- Receive further therapy to address complex issues or co-occurring disorders such as PTSD, depression, eating disorders;
- Develop life skills in a safe environment before returning to the usual routine of daily life;
- Consolidate relapse prevention skills;
- Patients practice the benefits of abstinence while being under medical supervision, receiving therapeutic guidance and living in a safe environment.
The second-stage programme at Recovery Gardens is open to anyone who has already completed a 4-6 week, 12 Step based rehab treatment programme.
Our Approach to Extended Rehab Treatment
We fully brief patients on the treatment and therapy programme of this stage of treatment so that they know what to expect and can be prepared for the benefits of long-term rehab treatment.
Patients are fully monitored – both medically and therapeutically. They receive ongoing follow-ups from our Consultant Psychiatrist and therapy is managed by a highly qualified team of experienced senior therapists.
Staff meet regularly to discuss each patient and their individualised treatment plans with the medical and therapeutic team. We also work closely with the patient’s family and external referral sources by providing regular updates on the patient’s progress.
What are the Benefits of Long-Term Treatment at Recovery Gardens?
- We offer a comprehensive therapy programme with twice-daily group therapy, one-on-one therapy with a focal therapist, specialised group therapies and daily AA/NA fellowship meetings;
- We provide a wide variety of complementary therapies;
- We work closely with referrers and give frequent updates on patient progress;
- Our location ensures that patients can fully immerse themselves in their complete recovery within a unique, private setting;
- We have a 24/7 onsite medical team that supervises all patients;
- We have a team of full-time Consultant Psychiatrists;
- Our long-term treatment therapy team is very experienced and highly qualified;
- We work on a personalised, robust continuing care plan, implemented and worked through with the patient;
- We have an onsite gym staffed by qualified instructors;
- We frequently provide free transport for patients to attend AA/NA local meetings and excursions.